CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stealing Athens by Karen Essex



 Ahh the love of historical fiction, and this book fills that need. I have to say Karen Essex is a wonderful writer and this books proves it to me. I really had a hard time putting the book down, I wanted to finish in one sitting but my eyes kept telling me bed. Needless to say I had some great dreams with this book.

Stealing Athens is about two women and how one significant building has tied them together. Mary is a striking woman that came from a rich family and married the Lord Elgin. She gives birth to 4 children and loses one. She has been to foreign countries where she impressed the sultan, his brides and the entire court. Her life takes a turn for the worst when her husband is after her father's money and the Parthenon of Athens.

Aspasia was a woman with smarts and a strong will. She was taken to Athens by her brother-in-law and then given to Perikles. She wasn't able to marry Perikles because of a law that he created to protect the people of Athens. Aspasia had influence on many of the people of Athens in the advice she game them. She was the face that inspired the statue of Athena and the monstrous intrigue about the face as well.

I really enjoyed how the spaces of time showed these powerful women at their lowest and highest point and how they overcame the harding situations that help to elevate them in some of the most important times during their lives and the impact it made on history as we know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment